Monday, March 3, 2014

Little by Little


There are some books that I am ashamed to admit that I have never read.  I think that we all (well all of the book-loving-nerd-reading-types) do it. "Of course I have read A Scarlet Letter! It has been a while, but of course!" 
Well I am going to admit it.  I spent the last couple of days reading To Kill A Mockingbird (TKAM).  It was my first time and I have done it. 

I think that this is an interesting book to review as a big book person.  As someone who has read quite a bit (if I don't say so and purger myself) on the south, racism, and Civil Rights, in fiction.  Mudbound by Hilary Jordan and the Help by Kathryn Sockett are some resent amazing books that help me draw a time period that I know, but do not KNOW, having not lived through it. The difference between these types of books and TKAM  is all in the narration.  Narration is an aspect of books that even though I find it vastly important is something that I commonly look over when I am reviewing a book- mostly I go for three things when giving a review:  Was it written well?  Where the characters believable? Was the book enjoyable/integrating? But really the narration is one of those things that can make or break a book for me.  I am not saying that this is what happened for me during TKAM, but when compared to other books that I have read that take place in the area and time relative to this, I find that I have a greater understanding with Skeeter than with Scout. While I vastly enjoyed reading TKAM I often find reading children characters a challenge, no matter the context.

Let me say that I vastly appreciate not only the history of the book, and Ms Harper Lee, I also thought her writing to be engaging, and accessible, while still holding a story line that was interesting, with mystery and foreshadowing unparalleled to first time writers. This is why this book is a classic.  But coming to the novel as an adult, I did not find it as meaningful, or as substantial as I think I would have if I had read it when I was young- as a teen or sooner.
This brings me to an idea that I have had for a while.  I think there is a time period for some books.  Now I fully concede that I might be wrong, that there are certain books that will just never stick with some people, but I originally thought this years ago when I tackled one of my best friends favorite book series- The Chronicles of Narnia.  I was only able to get through three (short) stories of the series, but found them dry, predictable, and downright boring.  I often afterwards wondered, if I had read them as a child, if I had found them before I found, say, Harry Potter, would I have enjoyed them?  They do not have the complexities of plot lines- which TKAM had far and away a great plot line, and development- and characters, but if I had not known better, would they have become a favorite for me also?
Just a question that I am pondering.



Either way my reading list is a little less embarrassing, I can hold my head a bit higher in the bookstore, knowing that I have actually read one of the books weighing on my conscience!


1 comment:

  1. I swore never to read again after 'To Kill a Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on killing mockingbirds. It did teach me not to judge a man based on the color of his skin, but what good does that do me?

    ReplyDelete